Is immediate surgical intervention required at the diagnostic stage of hernia?

Dr. Endri Katro

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Lump
Question: My doctor has just diagnosed a hernia and he recommends an appointment for surgery which I'm trying to arrange - with difficulty. When the doctor examined me, it didn't squelch but has since and he doesn't know yet. Do I need to expedite this surgery?
Answered by Dr. Endri Katro 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can wait till the date of surgery...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking Healthcaremagic.

I am Dr.Endri Katro and I will be answering at your questions.

The squelch sound that we hear in the case of a hernia,it is the sound of gas+food passing through our intestine. So we know that in the herniated sac ,there is our intestine. It is normal,so there is nothing to be worried in this situation.

As long as you don't have symptoms,you can wait without any problem till the date of the surgery.

If you feel a strong pain at the swelling area of the hernia,or if the skin turns red,you start vomiting,having nausea,or are unable to pass gas than you need to go to the emergency room as soon as possible because in these cases the hernia might be incarcerated and it needs immediate surgery.

Just remember a few things. The herniated sac might get bigger if the pressure in our abdomen gets bigger. It means that you should avoid all kind of exercises that can increase the abdominal pressure. also avoid lifting heavy weights.

Wish you good health.

If you have any other question,feel free to contact me.

Dr.Endri Katro
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Endri Katro 5 hours later
I have yet to arrange an appointment with a consultant; there is likely to be a very long wait for this, and then another wait for a surgical date. The NHS is pretty 'overworked'. Could be months away. However - no serious, or constant, pain. Is it still OK to push in (gently) the hernia?
Answered by Dr. Endri Katro 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can wait for the surgery without any problem...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back.

You can wait for the surgery a lot of months without any problem. Just remember the advices that I gave you about lifting heavy objects.

It is ok if you gentle push the hernia inside(you need to lay down for this),but it will go out again once you are back on your feet.Never apply force to the hernia,always gently.

Regards.

Dr.Endri Katro