Is honey or maple syrup better than sugar to regulate elevated triglyceride levels?

Kathy
Kathy Shattler

Dietitian & Nutritionist

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: I know that eating a lot of sweets is why my triglycerides are high. If I substitute sweets made with honey or maple syrup, will I be any better off?
Answered by Kathy Shattler 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, substituting honey or maple syrup is not better

Detailed Answer:
Hello!
Welcome to HCM! Triglycerides increase in response to sugars, you are correct, but particularly to fructose and high fructose corn syrup. Maple syrup is 45% fructose. You may see mixed results on the effects of honey on triglycerides, but the general consensus is to avoid honey and maple syrup.

I know sugar substitutes are not advised anymore, but the sweetener stevia, an herb, seems safe.

Please note that refined grains and sugars of all kinds, juices as well will increase triglycerides. Don't forget alcohol - it too will raise triglycerides.

It is best to consume a diet high in vegetables, soluble fibers, lean proteins, fresh fruit, oatmeals, legumes, nuts, virgin olive oil, avocodos. A mediterrean style diet might be a good one to try.

I hope I have addressed your question. Feel free to write back for clarification if needed and good luck to you! XXXXXXX J. Shattler, MS,RDN

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj