Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Is hollenhorst plaque in retina indicative of a heart disease?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
I am a 42 year old female. Can you advise whether signs of hollenhorst plaque in retina mean I have heart disease ? I am a healthy weight, have normal blood pressure and am a mon smoker. I am booked in to see a cardiologist in a few weeks but am extremely worried about it. thanks
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Indicative of a cardiovascular diseases Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX I am pleased to be able to assist you. Hollenhorst plaque is a cholesterol embolus that occurs in vessels supplying the retina. It is usually indicative of a severe cardiovascular diseases such as artherosclerosis which occurs in more proximal vessels such as the carotide arteries and since this vessel is stemming from the heart, it could also indirectly affect the heart and it vessels. When this hollenhorst plaque sign is identified by an ophthalmologist during eye exams, the patient is referred to a cardiologist who can take a closer look at your entire cardiovascular system notably by examining you, running some tests such as lipid profile and doing some angiography to determine which vessels might have originated the cholesterol embolus. Your treatment will consist of findings during the visit to the cardiologist. It is already a good thing that you have a healthy lifestyle, which means complications will actually be minimal. So, you should not worry much as I believe that you will be just find after seeing the doctor. Continue healthy lifestyle with low fat diets and regular exercises and everything will be just fine. Wish you the best and hope this helps. Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor