question-icon

Is hip replacement surgery advisable for a patient suffering from UTI?

Posted on Fri, 20 May 2016
Question: My wife is scheduled for hip replacement surgery tomorrow morning. She thinks she may have come down with a UTI. What do we do? Will it affect the ability to go ahead with the surgery?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu (14 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Better to postpone the surgery till your wife's UTI is cured

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

It is advisable to postpone the hip replacement surgery till the UTI is cured, for fear of risk of infection.

Better to be safe whole dealing with such radical surgeries.

It would be good to discuss this with her surgeon to gauge his insights on the same as well.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon