Is high heartbeat and shortness of breath normal during pregnancy?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: hi

i am 28 weeks pregnant and since the last three days i am feeling high heartbeat and shortness of breath.

my heartbeat at rest today was 102 to 105 bpm

is it normal ?
i hope there is no risk to the baby
Answered by Dr. S Patra 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
NORMAL. DON'T BE WORRIED.

Detailed Answer:

Normal heart beat is 60 to 100/ minute. However, it increases up to 115 beats/ min during pregnancy period. It occurs due to increase blood volume and cardiac output. Therefore, 102-105 beats/ min is quite NORMAL.

Shortness of breath is also COMMON as the pregnancy progresses. It occurs due to pushing of diaphragm by the enlarged gravid uterus. Take adequate rest in LEFT LATERAL POSITION.

These are PHYSIOLOGICAL changes during pregnancy and there is NO risk or harm to growing baby. So, you wouldn't be worried about that.

Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish your good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D