Is high SGPT levels normal in pregnancy?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: My wife is 30 weeks pregnant and recently glucose test done and it was normal. Before glucose test, my wife had taken 75gms of glucose and reach diagnostic center. The diagnostic center staffs not allowed my wife to go for glucose test as she had not taken exact 75gms of glucose and also variance.
they called my wife next day and they have given exact 75gms glucose and she waited 2hours in the center after taken glucose.The glucose test was normal.all ok.
After one month,She had sgpt test yesterday and sgpt level found 65 (normal should be 5 to 40).
My questions is why sgpt high and how it happens
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MILDLY ELEVATED SGPT IS NORMAL IN PREGNANCY

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Different labs have different levels of normal and abnormal.
In pregnancy, higher than normal levels of SGPT are considered abnormal, because of hormonal changes.
So please upload the exact lab report, as such, mildly elevated SGPT levels are not worrisome unless she is having symptoms like itching, yellowish urine, yellowish discolouration of mucous membranes etc.
So do not worry about her report, just upload it to me also.
The sugar levels as described are quite normal, so there is nothing to worry.
If the ultrasound is abnormal in any manner, upload that report also so that I can opine about it.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.