Is herbal supplement Gaba effective in treatment of bipolar disorder?

Dr. Munish Sood

Ayurveda Specialist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Mental Health
Question: I would like a ask a question of a psychiatrist or a doctor who works in the field of herbal supplements. I have a seventeen year old grandson who displays signs of bi-polar. He has anger issue problems, behavior issues at times. He has been to counsellors, a psychiatrist. He has been prescribed medication but will not stay on it as he says he doesnt feel right on it. I have recently heard of a herbal supplement "Gaba". Can anyone give me information on this supplement and whether it could be helpful. In research i have done it seems like he may have a seratonin/ malatonin imbalance. Any information i coykd get woukd be most helpful.
Thank you. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
symptomwise approach

Detailed Answer:
Dear
Thanks for contacting with your grandson health query and following is/are recommended guidelines:

1. What are the modern medications which he is taking/already taken to prevent any drug-drug interaction?
2. Does symptoms persists from childhood or increased with Age? ( for genetic and/or environmental causes)
3. Apart from mood changes,did you notice any change in eating habits,withdrawl from social activities, feeling of low esteem, and ideas of suicide?
4. Since he is under supervision of psychiatrist who has concluded it to be "bi-polar disorder" which is rightly due to serotonin melatonin imbalance (both act as neuro transmitters (NTs) in brain) and are included in pathology of bipolar disorders.
PS. Their Imbalance also have influence on other NTs particularly GABA, and at his Age
it probably seems to be ADHD ( attention
deficit hyperactive disorder)
5. GABA as such does not come as natural alternative since there is lack of supporting research, thus consult your attending physician regarding the use of same.
PS. Valerian has synergistic effect similar to GABA.
6. Since drug therapy is generally only a palliative treatment, we have to look at cognitive and behaviour (yoga/meditation) strategies,especially nutritional strategies.

Dr. Munish Sood
Consultant & Physician
Naimittika

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad