Is hemoglobin level of 8 at 30 weeks of pregnancy a concern?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 19 Jan 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: My wife's hemoglobin level, at 30 weeks pregnancy , is 8. At 25 weeks it was 8.5
Its dipping after every month. Is this serious concern and what measures to be taken to increase the HB.
She is not taking any tablets as already tried 4 - 5 different medicines but not suiting her.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As below

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
If she does not take iron tablets, then the hemoglobin levels will further fall.
If she cannot take iron tablets, then injectable iron should be taken.
Iron has to be supplemented at any cost else her health and baby's well being will be compromised.
And further blood transfusions maybe needed.
Has she been tested for thalassemia?
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy