Is heart rate of 55 bpm a cause for concern?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 14 Jan 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello, I am 23 years old and I had thyroid surgery about 6 weeks ago. For the most part I feel fine, but I still suffer from tachycardia. My resting heart rate used to be 74 and this week its been down to 55. During my nomal house cleaning rutine my heart sometimes goes up to 130. I want to start working out but I am scared that I will reach my XXXXXXX heart rate and pass out or have a heart attack. Please help. I have been meaning to get a check up, but it just seems like such a silly thing to worry about but I also suffer from anxiety so Im just looking for answers. Also lastnight my blood pressure was 129/86 and today it was 113/83
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

Since you have done thyroid surgery and the HR now is between 55-75 b.p.m, you shouldn't worry about tachycardia. What you are experiencing is related to anxiety.

It's recommended that you should continue with everyday activity, this will help you and reduce your anxiety.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 10 minutes later
My heart rate is only at 55-75 beats per minute when resting. Other than that, it's in the 130s just when im walking around my house cleaning. I don't know if I made myself clear I am trying to clarify. So I can exercise without worrying?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

It's normal to have slightly tachycardia (around 130 b.p.m) while you are walking if you are an untrained person.

It's recommended to exercise every day and you shouldn't wory about. Exercising will improve your physical activity and will help to stabilise your HR.

Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu