Is heart rate is 102 dangerous?

Dr. T Shobha Deepak

Posted on Tue, 22 Jul 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi. My heart rate is at 102 right now as I'm laying down watching a movie is that bad? On my phone it can tell me my bpm. Im really scared. Earlier my heart was pounding so i went and laid down and now it is 102. Should i be worried ? I had an ekg about 3 months ago and it came back good.
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is no cause for concern

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic

If you have been watching scary/horror movie than heart rate of 102 bpm is very much acceptable. You are young and unlikely to have any heart ailments.
Heart rate does rise depending on situation: it may even reach 150 if there is adrenal rush. Also your previous EKG is normal which is very much more reassuring.
Rest be assured there is no cause for concern.

Take Care

Best Regards
Dr T Shobha Deepak
MBBS,MD
Follow up: Dr. T Shobha Deepak 8 hours later
okay thank you! My resting heart rate was 107 this morning could it have anything to do with the sever sunburn I just got?
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There is no cause for concern

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Greetings

Isolated single episode of elevated resting heart rate is not significant. It could be due to stress/anxiety or even sunburn sustained( sunburn causes pain: pain elevates resting heart rate).

Take Care
Best Regards
Dr T Shobha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. T Shobha Deepak 7 minutes later
my skin is so hot..could that elevate the heart rate from the heat ?
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Elevated skin temperature could cause rise in bpm

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms

Increased skin temperature could also cause rise in skin temperature.

Where is the sunburn located? was it related to outdoor activity like beach?

Awaiting your reply

Take Care

Dr Shobha
Follow up: Dr. T Shobha Deepak 4 minutes later
I was in the pool for two hours my shoulders arms and chest are incredibly burnt my skin is giving off so much heat and it's burning
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
likely to be due to superficial burns

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Greetings
Its very much likely to be due to superficial skin burns. Assessment of severity is possible by visual examination.
Local application of calamine lotion will be smoothening.

Take Care

Dr Shobha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj