Is heart catheterization necessary for ischemic myocardial damage?

Excellent

Cardiologist
Question
Both an ultrasound and a follow up nuclear stress test showed the basal and mid inferior wall and basal inferolateral segment are hypo kinetic. All remaining segments are normal. My cardiologist wants to do a heart catheterization next. Is this proper protocol? I have family history and seem to be asymptomatic. Is a cath warranted and what will they be looking for?
Posted Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following answer to your queries...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking to HCM!

Yes heart catheterization (coronary angiography) is the proper protocol in your case. Based on the data you provided there is a strong evidence of ischemic myocardial damage (abnormal myocardial segment movement or hypokinesias).

So I recommend running coronary angiography in order to determine the cause of myocardial ischemia. In most of the cases ischemia is due to atherosclerosis plaques which are best seen on angiography. Moreover angiography will also determine the proper way of treating atherosclerotic plaque (coronary stenting or bypass surgery).

Hope this answer all your queries!
Dr. Benard
p.s: If you have more queries about your disease don't hesitate to ask me again.

Follow-up: Is heart catheterization necessary for ischemic myocardial damage? 8 hours later
Can both my prior tests have been false positives? Is there any non cardiac reasons for my test results? I am apprehensive about having a XXXXXXX due to concerns of something going wrong during the procedure. Thx

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 30 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rare cases for false results...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

As mentioned earlier, based on medical data you provided, there is a strong evidence for ischemic myocardial damage (abnormal myocardial segment movement/hypokinesis). The most common cause is atherosclerotic plaque.

In rare cases, this might be caused due to coronary spasms. It rarely occurs to have false positive results.

Unfortunately angiography is the golden standard test in these cases (in order to determine the exact cause).

All the best!
Dr.Benard