Is healing of partial tear of the thumb with splinting normal?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: I had an Partial tear of the Thumb UCL August 11, 2015. I have been in a splint since then; however, my thumb still hurts. I have trouble bending my thumb without pain. My doctor says he had the same injury but a complete torn was able to bend his thumb backwards, and I can not. The problem to me is I still have a lumb at the base of my thumb. He said it will go away in time. Is this true? I had a MRI and he said nothing is wrong and it is normal to have the lump.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can heal with rest.

Detailed Answer:
The partial tear of the thumb usually heals with splinting and rest in 6-8 weeks. The lump at the base of the thumb is likely o be a soft tissue swelling. If MRI scan has not detected any abnormal swelling then there is no need to worry. The swelling will gradually subside as you start moving the thumb normally after it heals. If the pain and swelling persists then surgical repair is the last resort.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T