Is head circumference of 47 cms normal in a 9 month old child?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Fri, 20 Jul 2018 in General Health
Question: Hi Doc, my 9 month old son had head circumference 35cm at birth . Now at 9 month completion, its 47. Is it normal. from 6 months to 9 months the increase is 1 cm per month. He is very happy, stands by furniture, laughs & babbles
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
This is normal please don't worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi... thank you for the trust in me and thank you for asking for my consultation specifically on healthcaremagic.

The head circumference of your kid is falling between 75th to 90th percentile, which is completely normal. Moreover you have given me even more valuable information that he is developmentally normal. That is so nice of you and excellent.

Your kid is completely normal, even head circumference wise and developmentally also. Please do not worry.

Please get back to me if you have any other health concern.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Hi doc, I was a bit worried since at birth 35 cm is just above 50th percentile, now 47 at 9 months is between 80 & 90. Should I do a CT scan? Also, we couldnot consult our usual ped this month. The new ped just told that his anterior frontenella is not yet closed & is slightly large for 9 months. The doc told it should close by 12 months. But everywhere in the inetrnet it says it closes between 18-24 months. So, while searching for reasons if at all there is a delay , i found that increase in HC is a symptom. so this 1cm per month from 6 months to 9 months is ok?
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on large head

Detailed Answer:
Hi... I understand your concern, but you need not be worried at all.

You need not go ahead with any neuroimaging like CT Scan which involves a great deal of radiation. As such there is no need to do any imaging of the brain. But if you are tensed and prefer to go ahead, I suggest you to go with ultrasound of the head which is otherwise called neurosonogram, which does not involve any radiation at all.

The anterior fontanelle will close by 18 months only.

You need not worry about the head circumference of your child as this does not categoris into macrocephaly or large head, which requires evaluation. Moreover he is developmentally normal. So you need not worry at all.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Brief Answer:
Thank you for the trust reposed in me

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... happy to help you anytime.

Please get back if you have any further queries.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth Amperayani
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad