Is having a high mean platelet volume a cause for concern?

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Blood Disorders
Question: is a high ( but still within range) mean platelet volume a cause for concern?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MPV interpretation depends on your previous health status

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.
A importance of high but within range mean platelet volume (MPV) depends on your previous health status.
If you have suffered from infection especially viral infection, the MPV is expected to increase and be on higher side of the range.
If there is history of cardiac ailment and if the MPV has remained high for a long period of time, then this is a risk factor for coronary artery disease.
If none of these factors are present, then you can observe the MPV value over a period of time.
If the MPV is constantly high then a blood film examination may be requiured followed by platelet function tests.
If platelet function test is within normal range, there is nothing to worry.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja Puri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist