Is having a hard scar post small bowel resection normal?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Tue, 4 Sep 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I had a small bowel resection due to a blockage 3 weeks ago. MY surgery scar from my belly button down is super hard. I have had some surgery in the past and never had that. My surgeon released me from his care last week. I was just curious if this is normal for it to feel so hard
Answered by Dr. Eni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is normal.

Detailed Answer:

Due to the anatomical incision, it is normal for the scar to be hard one week after surgery. Normally for a scar to mature it takes around one year. Meanwhile there are some things you can do: try to massage it gently, using hydratant or not. It is important also not to expose it in the sun the first year.

The hardness will disappear on its own. If it hurts or you see liquids on it, or if you experience fever, you should reconsult with your surgeon.
Meanwhile the hardness is not to worry.

Hope I have answered your query.

Take care,
Dr. Eni
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T