• question-icon

Is hair restoration process effective in treating hair loss?

Posted on Mon, 25 May 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hi
I want to know about hair restoration process, is it effective. also pls suggest me clinic name hair restoration.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hair restoration includes both medical and surgical methods

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Hair restoration includes the medical and surgical treatment of various forms of hair loss, including non-surgical. The most common cause of hair loss is androgenetic alopecia, also known as male pattern baldness or female pattern baldness. Surgical hair restoration is the only permanent technique that can move hair from permanent zone to the balding area and probably you wish to hear about the same. The most common hair restoration surgery technique is follicular unit transplantation (FUT). In FUT, follicular units are extracted from the back of the head, where hair tends to be more permanent, in a strip of skin called the donor strip. Once the strip is removed, the donor area is either sutured or stitched back up, ideally in a way that minimizes scarring. Removing adequate width of strip helps with minimizing the scarring. After the donor strip is extracted, it is dissected into individual follicular units. These are then transplanted into the recipient area in the patient’s balding scalp where they become viable hair-producing follicles.

Artificial hair integration or hair weaving is a simpler, painful, time consuming, effective but a less permanent method. Here the hair does not have the capacity to grow. It is simply natural or artifical hair sewn to the scalp.

As mentioned, only surgical methods of hair restoration can be considered effective. In case of medical methods like application of Minoxidil, hair may grow transiently but the amount of hairfall would be much more if you ever stop applying Minoxidil.

The following link will enable you find a suitable hair restoration centre near the location of your residence:
https://www.google.co.in/search?q=delhi+hair+transplant+clinics&oq=delhi+hair+restoration&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l5.12919j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Hope that helps.

Dr. Kunal Saha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha