Is hair loss common during breastfeeding?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Hair Loss
Question: Greetings doctors, I am a nursing mom and started to experience hair loss in the past two months. I find it very annoying, is these anything I could do to control hair loss? I take priorin supplements from time to time which are safe during pregnancy and breast feeding. However, I am looking for something more powerful and effective. Can you provide me with help ?! Also, I am considering taking weight loss pills, is that safe while nursing ? Thanx
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
High protein diet

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, I have gone through your question and understand your concerns. Hair loss is common during breastfeeding, however other causes like hypothyroidism, anemia and autoimmune diseases like systemic lupus erythematosus should be ruled out.
If all these are not present, then you should take proper high protein diet consisting of milk and milk products, eggs and non vegetarian items( if applicable). You can take almonds and vitamin E capsules, as they are known to boost hair growth.
You should not take weight reducing pills or exercise vigorously during breastfeeding, as your baby will not get adequate nutrition from the breast milk.
Hope you found the answer helpful. Please do get back for further queries.
Dr Deepti Verma