Is hair growth possible while recovering from head injury?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi I hit my scalp on the road one month ago. It scraped some skin off my head which took hair with it. It did not need stitches and after a week the scab was healed. The hair has still not grown back thouhh and it's hard to tell if there's much regrowrh coming back at all yet. My question, is the hair going to grow back?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Permanent hair loss depends on wound severity, regrowth might take a year

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. One month after injury is too early to judge hair re growth on the area of wound.

2. Hair grows from follicles and if the injury was severe enough to cause damage to the hair follicles in that area then the possibility of hair re growth is less and this might mean permanent hair loss in a small area where the wound was severe.

3. Because healing takes time, it is recommended to wait for a year to see if there is any chance of hair re growth in the scar area.

Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 7 minutes later
Is there anything I can buy or do to encourage hair growth quicker?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please allow wound to heal completely and then gently massage scalp area

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing back with an update.

1. Right now the follicles in that part of the scalp appear to be destroyed.

2. Since scab was formed and the wound is still healing, it is difficult to tell if the follicles have been permanently damaged or some of them will re grow hair.

3. At the moment my suggestion would be to allow the wound to heal and gently massage the scalp area once the wound has healed and there is no pain.

4. Gently massaging for a few minutes (3 to 5 minutes) every day will improve the circulation under the skin in the affected area and might stimulate hair re growth.

5. If hair does not evolve after even a year then hair restoration surgery is the only method that might work for you.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist