• question-icon

Is growth hormone supplement advisable for a child?

Posted on Mon, 14 Aug 2017 in Child Health
Question: This is about my son who's date of birth is 27th January 2005. We are worried about his height growth. His height in July 2016 was 141 cm and in April 2017 was 145 cm . Overall he is on a very short side as compared to other children of his age group i.e. 12-13 years.
Please advise what should we do. Should we consider giving him Growth Harmones if possible
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I need more information - please revert back with answers

Detailed Answer:
Hi... I understand your concern. your son height is between 15th to 25th percentile. I have calculated is height percentile based on date of birth which you have provided. I would like to tell you that in this type of percentile calculation any value between 5th to 95th percentile is normal.

But I need more information before guiding you further in this regard. Please get back to me with answers.

Questions -

1. What was his birth weight and length at birth?

2. What is his exact height in centimetres as of today? You have mentioned his height in April, I would like to know the current height.

3. Is there any family history of short stature?

4. What are the heights in centimetres of both of his parents?

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 5 days later
1.His birth weight was 2.67kg but doctor did not take height
2. His present height is 145cm
3. No family history of short stature
4. Father 180cm and mother 156 cm
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on the height of the child

Detailed Answer:
Hi...

Based on both the parents height I had calculated the mid parental height. He might reach 173 to 174 CM by the time he will attain adulthood.

As of now his height is in the normal percentile range so I don't think you need to worry about his height currently.

By what you say I feel that he should be a late bloomer and he might start growing in height after 14 to 16 years of age. If any of the parents have been a late bloomer, like growing in height after 14 to 16 years this is even more probable.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 5 minutes later
Sir in ur last answer u told that he is in 15 to 25th percentile range. pls check
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on height percentile

Detailed Answer:
Hi... yes I know I stand by the same calculation that his percentile is between 15th to 25th percentile. But as I had explained to you in my last interaction- any value of percentile between 5th to 95th percentile is normal.

As his exact percentile is falling in between 5th to 95th percentiles, I am not worried about his height as of now.

This is the reason why told that his height is within the normal range.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology