• question-icon

Is growth hormone replacement therapy effective for a patient with traumatic brain injury?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello.
A young man that I know had gotten a traumatic brain injury, however, here in Fort Worth, we cannot find a doctor who will provide adequate care. Hormone replacement I have read is holistic and also standard procedure, as well as up-to-date and based on recent research as a treatment option according to the following sources:
https://bioidenticalhormoneexperts.com/hormone-replacement-heal-traumatic-brain-injuries/
http://www.hormone.org/diseases-and-conditions/pituitary/traumatic-brain-injury

The first source is from Body Logic MD, however, they don't accept Medicaid. Is there a way we can get a referral to a Fort Worth endocrinologist with experience in TBIs with up-to-date knowledge and who regularly reads medical journals?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Start with a regular Endocrinologist.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

It is not necessary to find a Endocrinologist experienced in TBI, hormone replacement therapy after TBI is indicated in cases that there is actually an imbalance in hormones produced by pituitary gland.

So, if there is something to correct in hormones or not, this remains to be confirmed after appropriate lab work to measure these hormones levels.

So, a regular Endocrinologist may identify if there is something to be replaced or corrected in pituitary gland function.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 15 hours later
Hello.

We've already been to regular endocrinologists who turn us down once they find that he has a TBI, stating "he may need more (growth hormone) or the regular dose", and they aren't qualified to make that kind of decision.

We need to kindly request a direct referral if possible. I can give you the patient's name if needed. Healthcare is poorly rated in Fort Worth. We'll need a provider who accepts Medicaid.

Thanks, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Measured hormones are necessary first.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back and sorry for the delay.

All studies and articles about hormones replacement therapy after TBI stress the fact of effectiveness of such therapies in treating of TBI sequels is effective in cases of pituitary gland and hypothalamus hormones imbalances.

Perhaps it could be easier for you to get the prescription of such hormones after a measurement of hormones levels and if there is an imbalance it should be corrected.

Discuss with your friend's primary care Doctor about getting evaluated by these tests.

Hope this helps.

In good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical