Is gray color stool in a diabetic patient a concern?

Dr. T Shobha Deepak

Posted on Tue, 13 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, I am a 67 year old woman with dietbeates. But for the last about 3 weeks I have notices my stool has changed from brown to a gray color. The only thing different that I have done is using flavored water , less coffee and one pop a day. should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be cause for concern

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Ms

Just the change in colour of stools is not a cause for concern. Colour of stool does not only depend on the type of food consumed, but also depends on intestinal motility. If the stools are black tarry than its not a cause for concern.

If the colour is still persistent , than I would suggest a routine stool examination to rule out occult bleeding in gastrointestinal tract.

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you

Take Care

Best Regards
Dr Shobha Deepak
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T