Is grapefruit advisable while on Prograf for kidney transplant?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Wed, 4 May 2016 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I take 1.5mg of prograf twice per day for a kidney transplant. I love grapefruit but have heard that it is not good to eat this fruit while on prograf. I also take atorvastatin and sertrline. What are the dangers or side effects I should be aware of?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Side effects pointed out, avoid grapefruit

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read yoru question and i understand your cocnern. Grapefruit for sure interacts with most of the medications. It inhibits prograf metabolism in body and increases its levels and is prefered to avoid while being on prograf.

As far as side effects are concerned. Like any other immunosuppressants, prograf make a body vulnerable to infections and any minute infection should be aggressively treated. If you get anemic / yellow discolored, get a chest pain, increased blood pressure or blood glucose levels, talk to your doctor as prograf may be the cause for it. Regularly follow your renal functions and liver functions. This drg affects Gi symptoms and you will need supportive care for that. Also keep an eye on electrolytes levels as it may derange them too.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan