question-icon

Is grape fruit juice recommended while using Atorvastatin?

Posted on Fri, 15 May 2015
Question: Thanks! How about if I eat half a grapefruit 12 hours away from my 20mg atorvastatin q.d. ?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis (25 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Don't worry too much about that but you should refrain from using both

Detailed Answer:

grapefruit juice interferes with atorvastatin metabolism and may increase its concentration and lead to increased rate of side effects. Using grape fruit juice is not recommended when you're using atorvastatin.

Despite that, 20mg of atorvastatin is not the highest dose (up to 80mg can be given per day) and the effect of the grapefruit juice is not that important to become dangerous at such low doses of atorvastatin.

Contact me again, if you'd like more information about this subject.

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis