Is gargling with warm salt water effective in removing bacteria and germs?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Dental Health
Question: Doctor i read it somewhere if somebody doesnt have time to brush in night then its ok to have gargling with salt XXXXXXX warm water to remove bacteria and germs. It is kind of an alternative of not brushing in night. Does that really work doctor?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I prefer brushing for my patients..

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX .
Thanks for the query..

See, gargling with XXXXXXX warm salt water is a good option but it will not remove the tightly attached plaque from the teeth..
If there is something sticky attached on teeth then it'll left attached even after gargling..
So if you brush your teeth then you are ensuring better removal of plaque and debris from teeth..
So I would prefer that you can do warm saline rinses during day after meals but at night it will be better to brush before going to bed.
If at all it is not possible to brush then gargling can be an effective option..

Please write back for more queries..

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng