• question-icon

Is frequent urination at night a symptom of diabetes?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My age is 27yrs,since last 15days i am having problem.
At night before sleeping i need to go to urinate for 5-6times.i did bsl random,results were 143mg in blood and traces in urine
Pls help me what to do.i dont have any other problems.is it diabetis?i drank 600ml of sprite last night.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to do proper blood sugar test

Detailed Answer:

Hello
Thanks for query ,Based on the facts that you have posted you have frequency for urination .

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Do you have other urinary symptoms like burning ,urgency,etc ?
2) Are your either of your parents diabetic?

The cause of frequency could be either due to Diabetes or UTI .

You need to get your blood sugar test done on empty stomach and 2 hours after lunch to confirm or rule out diabetes

Please get your routine urine test and urine culture done to find out any organisms This will help us to rule out UTI.

In the mean while take Tab Norfloxacin twice daily .

Further treatment will depnd uponthe results of these tests.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 23 minutes later
My parents are diabetic.
I am taking ayurvedic medicine with honey approx 2spoons.can that be the reason?

Once i am asleep,dont need to wakeup at night for urinating nor there is urgency at morning after i wake up

Also i feel uncomfortable after urinating.and volume of urine is less and colour is slight yellowish
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to do Blood Sugar tests as suggested earlier ..

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .
Looking at the fact that both of your parents being diabetic there is hgh possibility of yiu having diabetes .

Get blood sugar test done s suggested earlier ans depending upon the report consult qualified Physician for further treatment .

Colour and volume of urine depend upon quantity of water that you drink .

Taking 2 spoons of honey will not increase your sugar level .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist