Is follicutits contagious?

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: i have skin rash on my back that was diagnosed to be follicutits. I just start to take antibiotic doxycycline today.
my daughter has ear surgery schedule for this thursday. she does not have follicutitis now, but she has been
exposed to it by being in the same houshold with me. is that XXXXXXX for her surgery? could she get
follicutitis after the surgery and have complications from that? thanks
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not a problem for her surgery.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Even though folliculitis is due to bacterial infection, this infection spreads to other person in the household by contact with infected lesions, fluid, or such as touching or in contact with used clothes.

Just staying in the same house with a person with folliculitis is not considered exposure to infection and it is not danger for her surgery.

The chance of getting folliculitis after the surgery and complications are negligible so nothing to worry.

Ask her to avoid personal contact with you and your things to prevent the spread of infection to her.

And everybody in the household should maintain a strict hand hygiene by washing hands with a liquid soap to prevent the spread of skin infections from one person to another.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.