• question-icon

Is fluctuating blood pressure a cause for concern?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My Bp has been normal .. 125/80.... Yesterday it went up to 170/91..... Then dropped to 155/85.... Today it had stayed there most of the day ... Tonight it has

Tonight it dripped to 114/54.... There hasxbeen no changes in my life. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Mostly normal.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

Blood pressure reading 125/80 and 114/54 would be considered as normal clinically.

The normal of systolic pressure ranges between 90 to 140 mm hg and diastolic pressure 60 to 90 mm hg.

However,our systolic blood pressure fluctuates more than the diastolic one. Means systolic pressure may get easily elevated even if there is mild exertion or anxiety and get down to normal by itself or after taking rest.

In your case,systolic blood pressure has gone up to 170 mmhg which is too high but not the diastolic one (from 80 to 91 mm hg which I would not consider as high clinically).

Also it came down to normal within few hours.

So,considering your diastolic blood pressure,it is very unlikely that you are having high blood pressure issue.

Further,I would suggest you to check blood pressure once in a day, initially for couple of days.

And preferably check pressure in sitting position and after taking rest for 15 to 30 minutes which will mostly rule out rise due to systolic fluctuation.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have more doubts.

Dr.Sandip Kabra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Sandip Kabra