Is flank pain with burning and bleeding during urination symptom of kidney infection?

Dr. Vaddadi Suresh

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am being treated for a UTI. Prior to starting the antibiotic (Cephalexin 500mg twice daily for 7 days), I had painful urination, frequency, urgency, and slight visible blood when wiping. I did not have a fever. I am 3 days into my antibiotic treatment and although I no longer have frequency, urgency, or visible blood, I still have a very slight burning sensation when I void and over the course of today I have noticed mild flank pain (2 out of 10 on pain scale). I have not done anything physical or strenuous to bring on the mild flank pain. I did an at-home urine test this evening and it shows trace leukocytes and it's negative for nitrates. I am not running a fever and I do not have nausea or vomiting. Is kidney infection likely? Do I need a different antibiotic?
Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
complete the course

Detailed Answer:
Hi msc ,
I have gone through your query.
Generally, UTI is required to be treated for full course before complete response is achieved.
As your symptoms improved after starting the antibiotic , I think you will see complete response after you finish the course.
If not, don't start another antibiotic, please go for culture and sensitivity test of urine, identify the organism, find the best antibiotic that best suits the sensitivity of the organism and start using it.
In this way, you can avoid growing drug resistance organisms which is quite possible when you use antibiotics based on "guess".
Hope I am clear. Please don't hesitate to ask for any further details.
All the best.
Follow up: Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 36 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX
Thank you for your answer. My greatest concern was that the infection had made its way to the kidneys despite the treatment. I will complete the course of antibiotics as you recommend and address lingering symptoms (if any) with my doctor. In the meantime, what are symptoms that warrant an immediate call to my doctor?
Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
two of these three...

Detailed Answer:
Hi, that's a very good question.
Persistent loin pain , vomitings and recurrence of fever suggests pyelonephritis (kidney infection)...
If you see any two of these three, it is wise to consult.
All the best.