Is fibroscan necessary to decide the treatment for hepatitis B?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: i am having hepatitis b + , i got SGPT & SGOT checked several times in Labs but it always normal below 50 range. On the other side doctor has advised me to get test of HBV DNA QUANTITATIVE, (Real Time PCR using Cobas Amliprep & Taqman.). I let it done 1month before in Dr. Lal Pathlabs and result shows 59295 IU/ML. Now the doctor has asked me to get fibroscan test so they can decide weather i should take injections or medicines..! I would ask is this test necessary even after doctor prescription i let it twice chekup of SGOT and SGPT in two months and it shows normal.?
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Answer given below

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

Yes, Fibroscan is necessary to decide whether treatment has to be started. Previously liver biopsy was done which is an invasive test. But fibroscan scan is a non-invasive test and gives adequate information about the status of the liver.
Another test to be done is HBeAg.

And if you are married, screen your spouse for hepatitis B.

I hope that answers your question.
Dr.R.K.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj