• question-icon

Is fever an early symptom of dengue?

Posted on Wed, 7 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: my brother male/ 28 got his reports for dengue just now. it looks positive from the report but except tfor fever he doesn't have any symptoms. can you please advice what to do. should he get admitted immediately?
what other precautions we should take. attached are the reports.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Admission is not required at this moment.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX Hi
Good evening!

I appreciate your concern for your beloved brother who is unfortunately found to be suffering from Dengue fever.

I have gone through the history and the uploaded results of various lab tests.
The report is suggestive of Dengue infection.
At the moment he has no other symptoms other than fever, so there is nothing to worry. He does not need immediate admission but he needs to be observed for certain signs and symptoms at home.

I would recommend the following for him:

1. Give him Paracetamol orally the interval every 6 hours
2. Tepid sponging
3. Give him plenty of oral fluids, fruit juice and other fluids containing electrolytes and sugar to replace losses from fever
4. Avoid giving him Ibuprofen, Aspirn, Naproxen, etc as it may cause gastritis and bleeding.
5. If the fever does not subside, or if he gets vomiting, joint pains, enlarged salivary glands, rash, or bleeding he should be admitted in the hospital.
6. The local public health body (Municipal corporation, etc) should be informed about the disease.

Hope the suggestion given above could be useful.
If you any follow up query, I shall be glad to answer.

Best regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 1 hour later
thanks doc. we will take care of him. unfortunately we have all come to native to celebrate XXXXXXX chaturthi. he has got room mates. but they will working from Monday. also do you think there is a chance that he might not get those severe symptoms ? or do they always appear during dengue?/ how long does it take to fully cure? about point 6. how do we inform the munfipal body ? does hospital take care of it? he is consulting a doc at Dr XXXXXXX Manipal hospital in Jayanagar XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It may take 5-7 days for the recovery.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX Hi
Thanks for your reply & the compliment.

More than 50% of the cases of Dengue fever are asymptomatic, some present with fever or body ache and very few present with other associated symptoms.
Like any other viral fever, it is self limiting in 5-7 days.
However, if he gets other symptoms as mentioned earlier, he should be examined by a doctor for further evaluation.
At present he is doing well, ask him to take proper rest, intake of fruits or fruit juices, adequate hydration and a soft diet will enhance the process of recovery.

Regarding the notification part, it will be done by the concerned hospital in Jayanagar Bangaluru.

Wishing your brother a quick and smooth recovery.
Good night.
Follow up: Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 39 hours later
thanks doc. I have attached few more recent reports and medicine they are giving him. the doc kind of told him to get admitted . so he is spending a night at hospital. I have asked him to get discharged. but is it possible that he my spread the disease? when can we safely say that his s disease is not transferrable
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dengue fever can't be spread directly from one person to another person.

Detailed Answer:

Dear XXXXXXX Hi
Thanks for your briefing & the compliment.

Reviewed the recently uploaded (dated September 20th) report of urine examination and the prescribed medications (IV fluids, Profuse, Fupan, & Futri).
The result of urine examination is NORMAL & the prescribed medications are also required for the treatment.

Dengue fever spreads through the bite of the mosquito Aedes aegypti.
The mosquito becomes infected when it takes the blood of a person infected with the virus. After about one week, the mosquito can then transmit the virus while biting a healthy person.

The virus remains in the patient's body for approximately 5-12 days. After wards the patient can be said to be free from the virus.

When a mosquito bites a person who has dengue virus in his or her blood, the mosquito becomes infected with the dengue virus. An infected mosquito can later transmit that virus to healthy people by biting them.
Dengue cannot be spread directly from one person to another, and mosquitoes are necessary for transmission of the dengue virus.

I would advise the following preventive measures:

1. Protect yourself from mosquito bites
2. Wear long sleeves shirts
3. A mosquito repellent is also helpful in preventing the exposure to the mosquitoes.

Hope I could answer your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 13 minutes later
that was very helpful doctor. very unbiased opinion. one question though - should he stay admitted to the hospital ? if no how can we convince the doctor?

they are regularly taking platelet counts and they are saying only if the count is increasing they will let him go. he seems to be sufficiently healthy without any symptoms and carry on with daily work fairly well.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
He should stay in the hospital till complete recovery.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX Hi
Thanks for the compliment.

My advise will be he should stay in the hospital till his platelet count returns back to the normal range irrespective of his present symptoms. Because a low platelet count can lead to complications like bleeding from the intestines, nose, kidney or organs.

Hope I could answer your query.

Kindly rate the answers, if you are convinced with the explanation and the advice.
Wishing your brother an early quick and smooth recovery.
Thanks and regards/-

Follow up: Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 30 minutes later
but looking at earlier report you said there was no need for hospitalization. I am confused could you please clarify doc
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Admission is needed because of the low platelet count in the hospital

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX Hi
Thanks for your reminder.

The main complication of Dengue fever is low platelet count which may result in bleeding from various sites as mentioned earlier.

Since the doctors in the hospital noticed a low platelet count, hence they insisted him to stay till the platelets increase in number so that he can go home without any risk of bleeding.

Hope you got my point now.

Best regards.
Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali