• question-icon

Is fever after taking vaccination in a child normal?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: My 2 month old baby had his first vaccines today (12 hrs ago). Now he has a fever of 38.2 C for the last 2 hrs (I used an ear thermometer). I gave him Tylenol 2 hours ago and it brought his fever to 37.5 but now it came back to 38.2 C. What should I do ?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Check the dose of Tylenol, do sponging, ibuprofen may be needef

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

Fever following vaccination is very common and it is due to immune response of body to the vaccine.
Tylenol contains acetaminophen and is a very safe drug.It comes in form of syrup(160 mg/5 ml) or drop(80 mg/ml).
I would like to know the amount and form of preparation which you have used. If given in inadequate dose fever may recur earlier.
The drop should be given 1 ml while syrup 2.5 ml. It can be given at an interval 8 hourly.
Sponging also helps in controlling the temperature.
If fever persists or recur earlier even after giving proper dose of acetaminophen and sponging, ibuprofen syrup may be needed.

I hope this helps.
Please write back if you have any more query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology