Is fever a symptom of myleodysplasia refractory cytopenia multilineage dysplasia?

Posted on Mon, 18 May 2015 in Cancer
Question: i have been diagnosed with myleodysplasia refractory cytopenia multilineage dysplasia
i have been getting low grade fevers since i have been diagnosed is fever a symptomof this disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

Fever might not necessarily be a direct symptom of the disease. However, this particular disease can cause your immune system to be depressed. This could lead you to be more susceptible to viral and bacterial infections.

I am sure your hematologist is following your blood counts closely.sometimes if the white blood cell count is chronically low your doctor might consider placing you on prophylactic antibiotics to help protect your immune system.

If you continue to have persistent fevers I would recommend that you discuss this with your doctors.you may need a follow-up examination, possibly x-rays and bloodwork.

Again your doctor might consider prophylactic antibiotics in this type of setting. please contact your doctor at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Follow up: Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
i do not have low whites im fine just rbcs and hemoglobin
i have looked up on internet clevland clinic and wickopedia have
clearly stated that low grade fevers can be symptoms this is very
important please answer ,,if you dont know say you dont know
are you an oncologist if not i can notuse your advise and i would like a refund

i ms sorry i see that you are an oncologist my blood is checked every week
i have an ultra sound and mri of my interior stomach all normal

the fever must be a symptom of mds
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
thanks for the additional information.

While it may be possible that the fever is related to your myelo dysplastic syndrome it is still necessary to rule out possible infectious causes including viruses. Your doctor might consider checking some blood test for these types of things.

The severity of your fever is also something we would consider. If the fever is very low-grade then we might be able to conclude it's relation to your blood disorder.
it sounds like you have had a fairly comprehensive evaluation so far. The other consideration at this point would be to look for possible underlying viral infections which could be contributing to this.

I would suggest you discuss these considerations with your primary hematologist.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist