Is fertility monitor is an effective tool for monitoring ovulation?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Excellent
Question
I really hope you can help me. Let me start from the beginning I am 39 years of age, never used any kind of contraception and have never been pregnant. I was never sexually active until I was 26 years of age and then it would only be maybe 3 times a year. We have been more sexually active the past 6 months about twice a week. I have only ever had one partner and that is my current husband.

I was investigated in 2009 due to pain in my lower area, hence the attached Ultrasound Scan.

I had bleeding problems in 2011/2012, hence the letter attached which was due to stress of my Nana passing away and everything is now back to normal. I have attached the Ultrasound Scan Report, everything is back to normal now and has been for 12 months. My Day 3 FSH was 4.2.

I got married in July 2012 and we decided we wanted to try for a baby. We have never been consistent with intercourse apart from the last 2 months where I am using a Clearblue Fertility Monitor. I thought I was not ovulating hence I bought the fertility monitor. This does show that I am ovulating.

I really want to conceive naturally, do you really see this can happen for us? I am overweight but have lost 2 stone, so currently still overweight but trying. My husband has cut down from 30 cigarettes a day to 10 cigarettes and drinks within the alcoholic guidelines other than a Saturday.

I have seen a Gynaecologist who sees no problems in me conceiving and says I have a good egg reserve for my age. I have attached some reports to help you answer my questions. My Gynaecologist says I do not have PCO as my blood work is all good. My own GP is also not concerned. I am going to bed every night crying thinking I will never conceive naturally.

Please don’t ask my partner to have a semen analysis done as he doesn’t want this and says if it is meant to be it will happen naturally. Can I have an infertility check to see if I am in working order without my husband attending?

I have a regular bleeding pattern 24-28 day cycles. Never have pain or any kind of problem. I have attached my bleeding chart.

At the end of the day all I want is to be a MUM, do you please see this possible my reports and see it can happen naturally?

I can’t afford anything privately it will have to be on NHS my own GP won’t refer me as he thinks I am panicking over nothing.

1. Do you agree the fertility monitor is a good diagnosis for ovulating?
2. Do you see I can conceive naturally?
3. Can I have a infertility check for myself and if so how do I go about this?
4. Any suggestions please to help me achieve what I really want.
5. Am I stressing out too much?
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
WAIT FOR ANOTHER 6 MONTHS.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Firstly there are no attachments in this question, please look into these and upload the relevant reports.
Regarding your queries -
1. If you have regular cycles, the fertility monitor is a good tool for monitoring ovulation. More specific is follicular monitoring, where the egg growth is tracked using serial ultrasound scans, if you can afford it or your GP can refer you for it, nothing like it. It will help you to time your intercourse, particularly since you have sporadic sex.
2. You have only been trying for 2 months to conceive, there is no reason why you cannot conceive naturally. What is your height and weight ? GIve yourself 6 months, try naturally around intercourse, relax, and then if you do not conceive, go for further investigations including semen analysis , hormonal levels, follicular monitoring.
3. You should have the check after 6 more months of trying naturally and not succeeding. You can do it yourself or ask your GP to refer you for the same.
4. Relax, that is the main thing.
5. Yes, you are under way too much stress, that is only natural. Stress inhibits fertility. Take regular folic acid .
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.

Follow-up: Is fertility monitor is an effective tool for monitoring ovulation? 1 hour later
I have attached reports.
Do you see I have PCOS my doctor says no because of blood results. Can I conceive naturally? IS my age a problem.

I was 17st 10lb and I am now 15st 7lb and 5 foot 3 inches

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
PLEASE UPLOAD BLOOD REPORTS.

Detailed Answer:
May I have a look at the blood results ?
These are not uploaded ?

Follow-up: Is fertility monitor is an effective tool for monitoring ovulation? 12 minutes later
i have no blood reports sorry
do you see i can conceive naturally even if husband drinks and smokes but has cut back a lot

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
AMH SHOULD BE MEASURED, IT IS KEY REPORT

Detailed Answer:
But you said the doctor said you did not have PCOS based on the blood work .
SO the tests would have to be done , right ?
Also the tests for your ovarian reserve, the most important is AMH .
Once that report is in hand, I would be able to tell you how much your age is an issue.
It is best to totally cut down the drink and smoke, as it does affect sperm function.
Please convince him to get a semen analysis done.

Follow-up: Is fertility monitor is an effective tool for monitoring ovulation? 3 hours later
I can't get no reports as not under gynaecologist now. I will give it 6 months then if not conceived will seek further advice. Thanks.

Hopefully I will conceive naturally if we participate more

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
THAT SEEMS OKAY

Detailed Answer:
Yes XXXXXXX
That seems to be the right approach.
Remain positive and free of stress why you try naturally.
All the best , and prayers for you.
Feel free to reach me directly on -
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-aarti-abraham/64623