Is fertility monitor is an effective tool for monitoring ovulation?

Dr. Som Biswas

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Infertility Problem
Question: I really hope you can help me. Let me start from the beginning I am 39 years of age, never used any kind of contraception and have never been pregnant. I was never sexually active until I was 26 years of age and then it would only be maybe 3 times a year. We have been more sexually active the past 6 months about twice a week. I have only ever had one partner and that is my current husband.

I was investigated in 2009 due to pain in my lower area, hence the attached Ultrasound Scan.

I had bleeding problems in 2011/2012, hence the letter attached which was due to stress of my Nana passing away and everything is now back to normal. I have attached the Ultrasound Scan Report, everything is back to normal now and has been for 12 months. My Day 3 FSH was 4.2.

I got married in July 2012 and we decided we wanted to try for a baby. We have never been consistent with intercourse apart from the last 2 months where I am using a Clearblue Fertility Monitor. I thought I was not ovulating hence I bought the fertility monitor. This does show that I am ovulating.

I really want to conceive naturally, do you really see this can happen for us? I am overweight but have lost 2 stone, so currently still overweight but trying. My husband has cut down from 30 cigarettes a day to 10 cigarettes and drinks within the alcoholic guidelines other than a Saturday.

I have seen a Gynaecologist who sees no problems in me conceiving and says I have a good egg reserve for my age. I have attached some reports to help you answer my questions. My Gynaecologist says I do not have PCO as my blood work is all good. My own GP is also not concerned. I am going to bed every night crying thinking I will never conceive naturally.

Please don’t ask my partner to have a semen analysis done as he doesn’t want this and says if it is meant to be it will happen naturally. Can I have an infertility check to see if I am in working order without my husband attending?

I have a regular bleeding pattern 24-28 day cycles. Never have pain or any kind of problem. I have attached my bleeding chart.

At the end of the day all I want is to be a MUM, do you please see this possible my reports and see it can happen naturally?

I can’t afford anything privately it will have to be on NHS my own GP won’t refer me as he thinks I am panicking over nothing.

1.     Do you agree the fertility monitor is a good diagnosis for ovulating?
2.     Do you see I can conceive naturally?
3.     Can I have a infertility check for myself and if so how do I go about this?
4.     Any suggestions please to help me achieve what I really want.
5.     Am I stressing out too much?
Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can get pregnant

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.

After reading your entire reports in detail i feel

1) You can get pregnant naturally

2) But its going to take time.

Answering your questions

1. Do you agree the fertility monitor is a good diagnosis for ovulating?

Yes but a serial sonographic follicular study is going to be better.

2. Do you see I can conceive naturally?

Yes as i told before

3. Can I have a infertility check for myself and if so how do I go about this?

Yes, you can either get a private consultation or ask your GP to refer you . You can also get it done in cheaper countries like XXXXXXX at a fraction of the cost.

4. Any suggestions please to help me achieve what I really want.

You have to have regular ( at least 3 times a week) unprotected sexual intercourse for at least one year to conceive naturally

5. Am I stressing out too much?

Yes i think so. Also stress itself can cause infertility so relax.

Feel free to consult me directly
http://bit.ly/drsombiswas

Dr. Som Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Follow up: Dr. Som Biswas 17 minutes later
Thank you so much you have given me so much hope I going to give it 6 months and if not conceived will get referred to a Specialist.

Do you see I have PCO and if so is this a concern also is my age a concern even though I have a good egg reserve please?
Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Give it one full year not just 6 months.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

All the more because of age and PCOS you should give 1 year.

Yes it might be a bit difficult with PCOS and age but you can try for one year naturally.

Dr Som MD
Follow up: Dr. Som Biswas 1 hour later
MY doctor says I do not have PCOS as blood tests dont suggest it. Are you saying I do have PCOS but you can conceive naturally?
Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You do not have pcos.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX ,

NO , all i am saying is that if you have pcos also then it becomes more difficult.

I am NOT saying that you are having PCOS.

You do not have pcos.

Dr. Som
Follow up: Dr. Som Biswas 3 minutes later
Thank you very much.

Is my husband a problem as far as you can see or should everything be fine and I should stop stressing
Brief Answer:
Get a semen analysis

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Since your husband is not willing for a semen analysis i cannot comment whether he has any problem or not.

Dr.Som
Follow up: Dr. Som Biswas 4 hours later
Last question do you see my age and my husband 10 cigs a day plus within alcohol guidelines be a problem. If not I will try using fertility monitor for 12 months then seek advice. If fertility monitor shows ovulation can I safely say I do ovulate?
Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

1) YES your husband has to stop alcohol and cigs at least till you get pregnant.

Age does affect fertility.

2) Yes fertility monitor shows ovulation means you ovulate

Dr Som