Is fasting blood sugar level of 340 a cause for concern?

Dr. Abhay A Mali

Diabetologist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Diabetes
Question: Hi,
My mom she have diabetes from 2011 which under control.The reason to write you guys is this that we don't want to follow up with her existing Specialist I can't see much improvement.So would request to please prescribe the proper medicine which we should continue from now on wards for her . Her current Fasting Blood Sugar is 340 .
Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need more information.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.
Noted your concern.

Fasting blood sugar of more than 300 requires immediate physical examination & detailed history taking (duration of Diabetes, current medicines any other illnesses like hypertension, Kidney problem, heart disease, family history).
Depending upon it following investigations may be suggested
- Complete Blood Count.
- Urine examination including ketone.
- Blood gas analysis.
- Kidney function test including Urea, creatinine, electrolytes.
- Liver Function Test including Bilirubin, liver enzymes.

Depending upon all above test results and detailed physical examination there may be need for hospitalization and insulin treatment.

In such a situation I may suggest to go to ER.

Hope this helps.

Dr Abhay Mali.
Diabetologist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj