Is facial or body hair bleaching safe during pregnancy?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Sat, 12 Sep 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: I am 16 weeks preganant, I have 3 questions please

-I would like to know if it really hurts the baby if I do facial/body hair bleaching during pregnancy? alot adviced me no to, so I didnt. but I was thinking is it ok for me to do this bleaching after giving birth? ( I am planing to breastfeed my baby) will it also be harmful for the baby?

- Is it true if I crave something and not eat it immediatly and by chance I have scrached anywhere my body my baby will develop a birthmark on his/her body in that place?

- Does watching horror movies really have bad influence of my baby and could be harmful?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, I have gone through your question and understand your concerns. I will answer your questions as you asked.
Use of chemical bleaching creams or powder on skin and face is not recommended, as they contain harmful chemicals which can get absorbed in the body through your skin and can harm the baby. Same is true for breastfeeding, as chemicals absorbed in the body are secreted in the breast milk. So, I will advise against its use in pregnancy or during breastfeeding.
Not eating immediately what you are craving for and Scratching your body somewhere do not have any effect on the fetus and there is no risk of developing any birth mark.
Watching horror movies do not have any direct adverse effects on the fetus, however it is advisable to watch and listen pleasant and soothing movies and songs during pregnancy, as it calms the fetus and is known to have good effects.
Hope you found the answer helpful. Please do get back for further queries.
Dr Deepti Verma