Is exposure to bug repellents during pregnancy a concern?

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi, I'm 34 weeks pregnant. I found a bed bug in my bed so we called exterminator. He came I told him I'm pregnant he said it's okay, I need to leave an apt just for about 5 hours after he spray everything. So I came back after 5 hours but I still worry if it's safe for me
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Very likely you and your baby are not at risk of harm- they are safe

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at Healthcaremagic.

I went through your question and understand your concern.

First I would like to reassure you that most bug repellents are not found dangerous in pregnant or breastfeeding women.

Do you have any symptoms or complaint? Do you feel any odor in the house?

Especially insect repellents that are EPA (they write this on their bottle) are proved to not cause any harm in humans or environment.

To conclude I would say
1. If you do not notice any special odor in the house that might be related to the repellent and you have no symptoms; it is very likely you are safe and there is nothing to worry. Generally bug repellents are found to not cause damage to pregnant women or their unborn babies.
2. If you are concerned of the type of the repellent used in your house than you can contact the company and ask for the exact repellent used and than it would be easier to speak specifically on that exact repellent.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to write me in case of anymore clarification is needed.

Kind Regards

Dr Antoneta Zotaj
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 20 minutes later
No I don't have any symptoms, I'm feeling good. Yes a company told us they are using unharmful products. Thank you for your answer.
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is very reassuring

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

It is good you do not have any symptoms. The fact, that the company says they're using safe products, is another reassuring factor.

I am glad to answer any queries you might have.

Kind Regards

Dr Antoneta Zotaj

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee