Is exercising advisable during pregnancy?

Posted on Fri, 4 Apr 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi, I would like to know if exercising is advisable during pregnancy in 15 weeks.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: YOU CAN DO FOLLOWING EXERCISES. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. Regular exercise throughout your pregnancy period can help to to stay healthy and improve your posture along with some discomfort like backache & fatigue. It is also helpful in prevention of gestational diabetes and to relieve stress, build more stamina for labor and delivery. You can start with walking for 30 min (regular), Low-impact aerobics classes for fitness, Prenatal yoga and stretching. For this, you can consult with physical trainer or Yoga teacher. However, you must consult with your OBSTETRICIAN to exclude HIGH RISK factors before starting exercise. Some activity or exercises should be avoided like scuba diving, horseback riding, downhill skiing, snowboarding, water skiing, bike riding on uneven surface etc. ALARMING SIGN: You must aware of these signs and STOP exercise immediately & contact to your doctor at the earliest. They are dizziness or feeling faint, muscle weakness, headache, chest pain, calf pain or swelling, vaginal bleeding, abdominal contractions (preterm labor), fluid leaking from your vagina, decreased fetal movement, rapid heartbeat at rest. Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and successful motherhood. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326
Dr. S Patra

OB and GYN Specialist