question-icon

Is excessive urination by a toddler a cause for concern?

Posted on Tue, 8 Dec 2020
Question: Hi, recently a week back my baby girl (age:14 months) got admitted to hospitalization for fever and identified as low count in platelets of 1.11lakhs () , then after one day in hospital it got increased to 1.49 lakhs. Then he given injections (Monterz - 250ml) daily two for three days, then after three days count increased to 6.00 lakhs. My questions are below, please answer them individually. 1. Was it ok to have increased to 6.00 lakhs? 2. My baby is not eating sufficiently even after drinking daily once the Syrup Honyzyme for digestion itseems. 3. My baby weight is still 8.4kgs (birth weight :2.9kgs), doctor says as long as she is active it is fine itseems, is it correct or will you suggest any other syrup? 4. She is urinating heavily over the capacity of the large diaper, due to which she got rashes at the back, as of now we are changing the diaper in the middle of night, but is it OK to urinate that much specially after coming hospital, anything to be considered?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani (26 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Is it Monterz or Montaz

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Is it Monterz injection or Montaz? Please clarify.
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani (1 hour later)
Hi, sorry, its Montaz. I will be happy if you can answer each individually. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani (0 minute later)
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on viral illness and platelet count

Detailed Answer:
Hi…Coming to your queries one by one –

1. By what you say I feel that your kid is recovering from a viral illness and only in simple viral illnesses the platelet count will drop like this a respond well like this. I do not this there was need for an antibiotic like Montaz (Ceftriaxone + Tazobactam) in this situation.

I will explain you how a viral illness behaves so that you can be more confident.
Fever of few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day. If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness and it doesn't require antibiotics at all. Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active.

Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (maximum ceiling dose of 500mg) every 4-6th hourly that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

2. I agree with your pediatrician that an active kid is a well kid and for a 14 month old with birth weight of 2.9kg, current weight of 8.4kg is appropriate and not to be worried about. I take this opportunity to tell you certain scientific facts and relieve your distress -
• An active is a well kid even if she/ he is not eating well.
• Development of a kid is as important as or I would say even more important than growth alone.
• As the kids grow their interest in food decreases and interest in play activities increases so that they eat small quantity and run away to play. As parents we need to be more patient and feed than less quantity but more aliquots per day.
• This age rather than the quantity of the food I suggest you concentrate more on the number of times you feed her and also make whatever you feed her calorie dense by adding good amount of ghee to it.
• I suggest you not to use appetite stimulants on long run as they may cause drowsiness.

3. In the hospital she might have received intravenous fluids and while recovering it is very normal from a viral illness or in fact any illness for any kid to put out all the excess water in the body as urine.

I wish your kid a speedy recovery. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link.
Once the page opens there will be an option below my image as – ASK ME A QUESTION – click on it.

In this way even in health care magic you can follow up always with a single doctor who knows the history of your kid completely.

Best regards - Dr Sumanth Amperayani

Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani (33 minutes later)
Thank you doctor for your reply.
"I suggest you not to use appetite stimulants on long run as they may cause drowsiness."
Q) I think its for Honyzyme syrup right? wanted to get re-clarified.

" In the hospital she might have received intravenous fluids and while recovering it is very normal from a viral illness or in fact any illness for any kid to put out all the excess water in the body as urine."
Q) we shall wait and observe for another couple of days (for 10day is ok?). For us it is really strange since she wasn't urinating that much anytime before starting from her birth.

last one:
Q) my baby is able to stand without any support for 20-30 sec from the past few days, but not yet started walking on her own, till how many days we can wait before we take an action on not-walking?
fyi, breast feeding was stopped at one year, since mother was carrying another child, doctor suggested to stop breast feeding for my first child, is this related to walking in anyway?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani (8 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on appetite stimulants and walking

Detailed Answer:
Hi...

1. Yes - it is for Honeyzyme - it may not cause drowsiness - but I do not recommend any appetite stimulants.

2. You can wait for a total of 14 days after discharge from the hospital please.

3. Stopping of breast feeding is not relevant for breast feeding. As she is currently standing without support for 30sec, I suggest you wait for another 2 months (till 16 months) for her to walk without support.

Best regards
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology