Is excessive thirst a sign of diabetes?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: my girlfriend has been waking up several times at night to quench her water thirst. It started last week after thanksgiving. I think it's because she has stayed away from seafood and pork for almost 5 months before eating it. I have read that it could be a sign of high blood sugar. she also has had for awhile a cough that comes up and only drinking water curtailes it. She keeps a water bottle with her for whenever the cough happens.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
About exessive thirsty;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I can understand your concern!
There are two pathologies that should be excluded;
- Diabetes mellitus
-High calcium level.
She needs to check blood glucose fasting and HbA1c for Diabetes and Electrolytes to rule out a high calcium level.
If the result normal, it may be Potomania ( psychological thirst) or Diabetes insipid.
There is no connection between cough and the need to drink water.
Try to do the above mentioned exams and do not hesitate to attach the results for further instructions.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T