Is excessive sleeping normal for a person with Parkinson's disease?

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: My husband was diagnosed with parkinson's several years ago.
He is now sleeping most of the time, is that to be exspectat

Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Excessive sleepiness can be as a result of PD as well as......

Detailed Answer:
Many other things that should be reviewed and checked. If he is napping a lot during the day then, he may be suffering from what we refer to as EXCESSIVE DAYTIME SLEEPINESS (EDS).

There are MANY MANY causes to EDS....PD is just one possibility. Other things to consider would be medications, doses of medications, medications interacting with OTHER medications. So, for example, did he start getting tired or MORE tired at a point when NEW medications were added to his baseline regimen from several years ago? Drugs such as Sinemet or carbidopa/levodopa can literally put people down....I mean FACE DOWN....in their bowls of soup.....have seen it happen....

EDS can be as a result of sleep apnea....does he snore? Is it overweight? Does he suffer from other medical conditions such as ANEMIA, diabetes, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, congestion heart failure, COPD? All of these conditions when not optimally managed can lead to EDS.

How about his THYROID gland? Has he been screened for his TSH and his FT4? If these are off just a little bit in someone with PD.....big trouble......How about his Vitamin D and B12 levels? Vitamin D should be closer to the range of 60-80 to be really topped off while B12's nowadays should be at least 400 if not 450 for people to be at their best.....

Does he EXERCISE at all? This makes a GINORMOUS difference to getting sleepy and tired during the day.....the more exercise a person gets...the more actively their muscles AND THEIR MINDS are engaged the less tired they feel during normal waking hours.....Does he suffer from RESTLESS LEGS....or at least excessive PERIODIC LEG MOVEMENTS.....which can be controlled and give a person more chance to sleep comfortably at night and not be as tired during the day.

Is he a Vet? Does he suffer from nightmares or Flashbacks? We have specific medication to can treat active conditions of PTSD that can improve overall health and reduce EDS.....

Sooooo, young lady......what do you think now of that very simple question with only 5 basic words? Any more questions?

If I've provided useful and helpful information to your questions could you do me a huge favor by CLOSING THE QUERY and be sure to include some fine words of feedback along with a 5 STAR rating? Again, many thanks for submitting your inquiry and please let me know how things turn out.

Do not forget to contact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 15 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.