Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Is excessive hair growth a kind of medical condition?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
Is excessive hairiness a sign of pathology? I have hair on shoulders back and front while most people my age don't seem to have.
Posted Sun, 6 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 25 hours later
Thanks for the query.
Although being hairy is mostly genetic and is a sign of testosterone activity in you but sometimes it can be pathological .
One should be worried if he finds a recent spurt in the growth of hair or if you have associated acne flares or change in voice or there is increase in muscle mass.This may indicate a hormonal problem like a cushing's disease where increased amount of cortisol is produced in body resulting in more hairs.
If there is nothing of this sort,then there is no need to worry but if you have some associated symptoms ,like I mentioned above,then you may consult your doctor for the investigations and find the cause.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor