Is excessive hair growth a kind of medical condition?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Is excessive hairiness a sign of pathology? I have hair on shoulders back and front while most people my age don't seem to have.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 25 hours later
Although being hairy is mostly genetic and is a sign of testosterone activity in you but sometimes it can be pathological .
One should be worried if he finds a recent spurt in the growth of hair or if you have associated acne flares or change in voice or there is increase in muscle mass.This may indicate a hormonal problem like a cushing's disease where increased amount of cortisol is produced in body resulting in more hairs.
If there is nothing of this sort,then there is no need to worry but if you have some associated symptoms ,like I mentioned above,then you may consult your doctor for the investigations and find the cause.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks