Is erythrocyte sedimentation rate of 96 a cause for concern?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Mon, 13 Feb 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: the blood test range is 2-15, mine is 96. The biopsies were done Wed but I haven't been given any results. What does a sed rat4 of 96t mean? I understand what dr is looking for, giant cell, etc. I want to kjnow what can be if tests sdfd negatife?

I know if untreated it can cause blindness or stroke I NEED to know what else cAN IT BE if biopsies are negaytive.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sedimentation rate is high, site of biopsy is not mentioned.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.
A sedimentation rate of 96 is definitely very high and indicates an underlying chronic inflammation in body.
You have mentioned that biopsies were done but not mentioned the site of biopsy.
I assume from your partial history that you have high sedimentation rate and 'giant cells' in biopsy and progression to blindness and stroke, that you are probably suffering from giant cell arteritis.
However, I request you to post the site of biopsy and clinical presentation to be sure about your history.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja Puri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy