Is epilepsy hereditary?
Some of the epilepsy syndromes can be hereditary.
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.
Genetics do play a role in epilepsy and some of the epilepsy syndromes can have hereditary transmission.However,its not confirmed whether the kids are going to have seizures.No treatment or antiepileptic medicines should be given just for a possibility that the kids may have seizures some day.
Also,nothing can be done to change the genetics.So,one should not worry,thinking all the time that 'my father is epileptic,so I will develop epilepsy too'.Its just a possibility and possibilities are XXXXXXX in a lifetime.So,be assured and live life.
If you have any further question,I shall be glad to answer.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for neuralgia on right side of face
- Suggest treatment for pain in head along with knee pain and locking
- Suggest treatment for numbness in arms and legs
- What causes left-sided twitching on face and eye?
- What causes shaky hands and head?
- Suggest treatment to regenerate the femoral nerve damaged by a haemorrage
- What causes chronic sense of fullness in head and tenderness of scalp?
- What causes sore and stiff neck along with blurry vision?
- What causes difficulty in speech along with high BP?
- Suggest treatment for symptoms of burning feet syndrome