• question-icon

Is enema advisable for severe constipation?

Posted on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: what risk maybe associated with giving enema to a person unable to have bowel movement for several days?
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Safe enemas do not pose risk

Detailed Answer:
Why was the enema given? Have you tried suppositories before full fledged enema?
Generally older people would have problem moving bowels as the are less XXXXXXX and the neural tracts are less responsive.
If there is just fecal impaction on examination, then simple digital removal of the impacted feces can relieve the discomfort in adults. In my opinion suppositories can be tried initially before enema in older adults. It is reasonable to give rectal enemas to those older adults suffering from constipation, fatigue, hard stools. However the safety depends on the material to use, the material is chosen after the reason for constipation is found.
Let me know if you have anything specific in your mind.
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam