question-icon

Is endoscopy of the lungs effective at treating pneumonia?

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2020
Question: hello Dr XXXXXXX Madam.Please forward my query to Dr XXXXXXX only.
My father aged 81 admitted on 18th Dec and diagnosed with pneumonia. After 5 days treatment, there is no improvement. Doctor has suggested endoscopy of lungs. Should we go for it? XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Go ahead with endoscopy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, XXXXXXX

I can certainly understand your concerns.

In case if your father did not respond to standard antibiotic therapy, then a further work up is required in case of pneumonia.

Hence, in all such cases it is important to go for bronchoscopic examination for lavage .

Further management is largely based on test results.

To conclude, go ahead with endoscopy as suggested by yor doctor.

Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Prasanna Heijebu