Owl Image

Is elevated microalbuminuria levels indicative of kidney damage?

Cardiologist
Question
This question is for Dr. Ilir Sharka. I have a friend who has hypertension and is overweight. She also has type-2 diabetes. A recent fasting glucose was 110 mg/dl. Last year a spot urine test revealed microalbuminuria level shows 1,943 mg/dl. A recent fastiing glucose was 110 mg/dl. What does this elevated lab value means? and could this condition be caused by her hypertension? and does she have mild, moderate or severe kidney damage.
Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that microalbuminuria is a common complication of diabetes.

You should know that fasting glucose is not the main test for diabetes.

For this reason, I would recommend checking HbA1C levels, to see if it is well controlled.

Regarding kidney function, this finding is indicative of mild kidney dysfunction. But it is important performing further renal function tests ( creatinine clearance, BUN, etc) and a kidney ultrasound to evaluate properly kidney function.

Hypertension may influence in microalbuminuaria, but in a lesser degree.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr.Iliri

Follow-up: Is elevated microalbuminuria levels indicative of kidney damage? 4 days later
Thank you so much, Dr. IIir Sharka. I found your explanation to be very helpful. You deserve a reward!! (smile). Have a great day, I'll talk to you again soon.

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
I am glad to have been helpful!

Your appreciation for my assistance means a lot to me!

Wishing a nice weekend,

Dr. Iliri