Is elevated liver enzyme a serious condition?

Dr. Priyanka

Posted on Sat, 17 May 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I was taking a glosamine and chondroitin complex that also contained chinese skullcap and black catechu. I finally realized the chinese skullcap and black catechu were making me have flu like symptoms, vomiting, nausea and fatigue. I went to the dr. and my liver enzymes were extremely high. Have I done serious damage to my liver?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It looks like Hepatitis.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for asking your question.

After going through your history it look like there may be mild injury to the liver as you have mentioned that your liver enzymes are very high, but how extremely it is high is not mentioned in your query.

Since your symptoms are not suggestive of serious liver damage, it may be due to viral hepatitis or side effect of medicines as some medicines are hepatotoxic. It will be better if you will again come back with your liver test report so that it will be easy for me to suggest further.

Now you can consult a near by medicine specialist with your all reports for further guidance. Stop the above mentioned medicines whatever you were taking, as it may further injure your liver.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka 3 hours later
Thanks for your reply. My latest tests show that my liver enzymes are normal, AST SerPL QN was 29. But on March 31st, my AST was 198. Also my ALT is normal now at 37. But on March 31st it was 275. Could I have permanent liver damage?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
No it is not permanent liver damage.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for being here again. Hope I will explain you better.

The previous and current liver enzyme values are not concerning. It does not indicate severe or permanent liver damage. Besides now your all enzyme levels are under normal range. After going through your history, in my opinion your medicines may be the cause of rise in liver enzymes level.

So I would like to advise you please reconsult your treating doctor. He/She may change your medicines.

Do not worry much.

I hope this helps.
Awaiting for your response.

Wishing you quick and complete recovery.

Kind regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad