Is ejection fraction value of 42% a cause for concern?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: We live in XXXXXXX My father is suffering from breathong issues and 2d echo reports show EF as 42%, so doctor suggested to go for Angiogram.His age is around 58 years and does not have BP and Sugar, however sometimes BP goes high about 135.

Which type of angiogram should we prefer between traditional coronary angiogram and CT angiogram?

Does 42% EF indicates danger level of heart problems?
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Coronary Angiography

Detailed Answer:
Hi friend
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Go for Coronary arteriography – it is invasive but it is the gold standard for this. Nowadays the procedure is extremely safe
CT angio is non-invasive and If positive, he will need catheterisation, anyway.
     After all, angiogram is only an investigation. A small catheter is introduced from a peripheral artery into the coronary artery (blood vessel of the heart). Small amounts of contrast (dye) are injected and the vessel is visualised in several angles. It will detect blocks – its presence, location, extent, its severity and feasibility of intervention. Subsequently, the catheter is introduced into the left ventricle (lower heart chamber) and its function is assessed – wall motion, ejection fraction, pressure, saturation are all documented. It is the only way to directly ‘see’ the block / it is the gold standard against which all other investigations are compared.
     The aim of any investigation is to modify the treatment, based on the result. Intervention – dilatation with balloon and placing a stent (Angioplasty) – is done at or after the procedure – to ensure patency of the vessel. If it is not technically feasible, a CABG may be necessary (Surgery - Coronary Artery Bypass Graft).

EF – 42 is reasonable.. and it is not dangerous

Good luck
God bless you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 6 hours later
Respected docyor,thank you so much for detailed answer.Today he had angiogram and there were np blocks identified except a mild dicease in middle vessel.Doctor told that that is not an issue,we can ignore that.

Attaching the report for reference.Please suggest whether we can really ignore it.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Good / no cause for serious concern

Detailed Answer:

Great news
Really reassuring …

Medical treatment alone is enough – generally a beta blocker, aspirin (and/or clopidogrel), statin are given as the first choice. The treating doctor will give appropriate prescription

If he is still symptomatic, a calcium channel blocker and a few more may be added…
The treating doctor alone could conclude better based on total clinical picture…
Prognosis is generally excellent in such situations