Is ejection fraction of 25% a cause for concern?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Wed, 11 Jan 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am 70, on dialysis 1 yr, no diabetes, can walk on treadmill for 45 minutes + additional or alternative exercise and have an EF of 25%. Currently take 2 pills daily for heart and blood. What can I do to reverse/increase the EF; the hope would ne to raise it 40% to be considered for a Kidney transplant.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regular morning walk is the key

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the query and understand your concerns. The ejection fraction (EF) of the heart is indeed low and needs to be enhanced. The first advice would be to go for regular morning walk (can be done on a treadmill as well). Take a brisk walk till you get fatigued. That will indicate your present stamina. Note the distance, and stick to it for a week. Then enhance it slightly once again as per the compliance of your body. This time you would be able to walk a greater distance. Stick to it for sometime and again gradually increase it. This leads to physiological conditioning of the heart and helps in increasing its capacity and compliance. The ejection fraction is likely to increase alongside.

Discuss with your treating physician whether you are on a beta blocker. This category of medicine helps in improving the heart conditions.

Let me know if I could help further.